Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Forgiveness

Something we all know we need to do. Something that is not easy but necessary. 


We started a 7 week series at church 












In today's Bible reading David is asking for help from God in the psalms about a betrayal.  

I was betrayed by my best friend and having moved away there is no good way for reconciliation, nor is she ready as she doesn't have any idea that cutting me out of her life was wrong. She knows it hurt me but that is the extent of it. I had never been hurt quite like this before without sound reasoning, with just a gesture of something that had changed. I look back now and see that his was an attack on my spirit and what God had planned for me and my family. It breaks my heart still, not as bad of a sting when it happened but a profound sadness of what we could have had and will never have again. I wrote out Pastor Russ's sermon and hope to work through these things in the next 7 weeks as we go into detail about them. I had no idea until this series and the Bible reading today that I had not totally forgiven my once friend. 


What is total Forgiveness

Eph 4:30-32 
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ Forgave YOU.

Mark 15:12-32
Story of Pilate and Jesus 

Luke 23:34
Jesus says, Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting.


1. Total Forgiveness is letting the person who hurt you Off the Hook

2. Total Forgiveness is, they won't get caught or found out

3. Total Forgiveness is, Nobody will ever know what they did.

4. Total Forgivenss is hoping they will prosper and be blessed as if they had done nothing wrong. Col 3:13


Total F O R G I V E N E S S IS NOT... 
1. is NOT Proving John 8:11 story of Jesus not condemning the woman
2. is NOT Excusing Num 14:11
3. is NOT Justifying Num 14:11 
4. is NOT Denying Num 14:11 The Lord said to Moses, “How long will these people treat me with contempt? How long will they   refuse to believe in me,in spite of all the signs I have performed among them?
5. is NOT Forgetting Heb 8:12 For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.
6. is NOT Pretending
7. is NOT Refusing to take the wrong seriously
8. is NOT Removing the consequences
9. does NOT mean you have to reconcile with them.

Total F O R G I V E N E S S IS... 
1. IS keeping no record of wrongs 1 Cor. 13:5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
2. IS Refusing to punish
3. IS Not telling what they did
4. IS Being meaningful — not getting what they deserve 
5. IS being gracious — Getting what they don't deserve
6. IS an INNER condition
7. IS an absence of Bitterness


No comments:

Post a Comment